Cesare Prandelli who is the manager of Italy says he has a reason as to why he left out Giuseppe Rossi and Mattia Destro in his final squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. The duo players raised an issue of concern after Prandelli failed to select them in the final 23 man squad.
Rossi had just made a comeback after suffering an injury. The Italy coach said that he for sure did not expect that there will be such controversies resulting from the decision he made.
Prandelli said that he is not judgmental though wanted to make clarifications as to why the two players missed in the final cut of Italy’s squad. Prandelli said that it was a risky undertaking including the player in the final squad.
He said that on 7th May he met the player in Coverciano and wanted to let him know that he will not be part of even the provisional 30 man squad. Rossi has been nursing an injury for a total of 4 months and only made a return on track in the course of last month.
Rossi who plays for Fiorentina was the last season’s top scorer last Saturday was part of the squad that played against Republic of Ireland. The game however ended in a goalless draw with Rossi creating no great impact for his team.
Prandelli says that he had made Rossi aware that much was expected from him during the friendly match. He said that Rossi did not meet the expectations he had set for him. Despite being a strong players, Prandelli insists that after the Ireland friendly, he told the star that he won’t make it into the final 23 man squad.
Prandelli says that Rossi was not yet done with his rehabilitation and healing process. On the other hand, Destro though not being in the 23 man squad will head to Brazil as a reservist player.
Prandelli says that he did not want to have a total of 3 forward players at the world cup hence asked Destro if he will be comfortable being a reserve player for the team.